Sunday, September 13, 2015

thanks, Pac

19 years ago we lost THE greatest rap artist of all time. but i'm not gonna dwell on his departure. i shall instead embrace his legacy. for it is he, Tupac Amaru Shakur, that had influenced me the most growing up outside my own blood

when i came here in '92, not knowing a lick of English, there weren't much to be influenced by that made any sense. the TV has unrealistic characters that doesn't look nor deal with issues like my family and i. the music is only what was heard through the radio were all bubblegum, pop shit. i watched just to see  and listened just to hear. it wasn't until my cousin got me into Bone Thugs-N-Harmony and 2Pac. the melody of how BTNH rap and the powerful Pac's lyrics were captivating. Changes and Change The World were the earliest songs i can recall hearing. now we weren't in the same circumstances but we were definitely in the same struggle.

growing up in Camden, NJ built me stronger. i have a love hate relationship with my city. what i went through i can listen to Pac and his message for survival and better days ahead. when your parents doesn't understand the dynamics of environment, i listened to the person who did. from 2Pacalypse Now to my favorite double CD All Eyez On Me. whatever you're going through you can find a song to relate to.

i'll never forget how much he means to me and i'll never forget the emptiness i felt when he was senselessly murdered. nevertheless, his impact was permanent. it is forever. it lives on within me and everyone that he is able to connect to, regardless of your background. i never got the chance to see him but what's more is i never got the chance to thank him.

i know you're up in Thugz Mansion with your Alizae, Henny and weed, with the world remembering you, as a straight G

No comments:

Post a Comment